An explosion by leaking gas cylinder at artisan’s shop in Ajara area of Badagry, Lagos suburb, on Monday killed four persons and left several others with severe burns.
A Correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), who visited the scene at Ajara Vetho, saw the dead bodies of two men and a woman lying in the area.
NAN reports that six buildings located near the workshop and six gas cylinders were destroyed by the explosion which occurred at about 9.50 a.m.
Officials of the Federal Fire Service, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Police and other security agencies were on ground to control the situation.
An official of the fire service, Mr Tunde Adeboye, told NAN that they were able to put out the fire quickly, and it helped in reducing the damage.
A senior police officer at the scene, who pleaded anonymity, said that four persons died in the explosion.
An eyewitness, Mr Segun Adebunmi, told NAN that the explosion was caused by a leaking gas cylinder at the artisan’s shop.
“It’s a testimony that I’m alive as I escaped the scene by a whisker,’’ he said.
Another eyewitness, Mr Tope Alabi, said that the explosion destroyed cars that were parked on the street.
“I heard a loud bang and the glasses of cars were shattering and the next thing I saw was human parts littered all over the place.
“The security agencies responded promptly; so the situation was contained; so it didn’t escalate,’’ he said.
A senior official at the General Hospital, Badagry, who pleaded anonymity, later confirmed that four dead bodies had been deposited at the mortuary.
The official also said that several people were in critical conditions, with severe burns.
Mr David Setonji, the legislator representing Badagry II in the Lagos State House of Assembly, in a message sent to a NAN correspondent said he had visited the area.
He commiserated with the Ajara community, and prayed that the soul of the deceased rest in peace.
The lawmaker, who described the incident as “unpalatable“ also prayed for the quick recovery of those who sustained injuries.