FSARS Kills Notorious Robber, Arrests 7, Recovers Arms

The dead robber

Operatives of the Federal Special Anti-robbery Squad (FSARS) on Lagos Island, Lagos have killed a suspected notorious armed robber, John Maxwell, aka Ahua.

Seven other suspects, including a woman alleged to be the wife of the dead robber, were arrested while two barreta pistols and 22 live ammunition were recovered from the suspects. The operation was carried out last Thursday.

The feat, according to a police source, was made possible by the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) in-charge of the FSARS, Lagos, Mr Ibrahim Kaoje, who directed a team led by CSP Oluseye Odunbaku to go after the suspects following the confession by one of the suspects, identified as Chidiebere aka Chiboy they had earlier arrested at Atan area of Ogun State, with arms and ammunition.

According to a police source, nemesis caught up with the suspects when the said Chiboy allegedly confessed to the police that his boss, Ahua was behind the series of robberies that had taken place in Lagos, Oyo, Ondo and Kwara States in recent times and that they had their base inside the forest at Iyana Era area of Ajangbadi, along the Lagos-Badagry Expressway, Lagos.

The source said that following the suspect’s alleged confession, DCP Kaoje directed a team led by Odunbaku to take the suspect along to lead them to arrest his boss and others.

On sighting the police team, Ahua and his boys opened fire on them and the police engaged the suspects in a gun battle during which Ahua was shot dead and five others arrested while others managed to escaped with gunshot injuries. Also arrested at the scene was a woman alleged to be the wife of the dead robber.

While the arrested robbers are currently being detained at the FSARS, Lagos, the remains of the dead robber had been deposited at a mortuary in Lagos.

The source said that the police had launched a manhunt for the arrest of the fleeing suspects, adding that all arrested suspects would be charged to court after investigation of the matter.

Efforts to contact DCP Kaoje for comments on the matter proved abortive.